We’re delighted to introduce Marie, the designer behind the super label Au Sud du Nord
If you were to ‘tweet’ your business (140 characters), how would you describe it ?
I create unique and ethnic sleepbags for baby and toddlers, inspired by colors and patterns of historic and traditional dresses of Asia and Africa.
How did you come up with the idea of launching your business?
Since I was a small girl, I needed to create. I discovered 3 years ago that I need to try to live my passion. I want to show my kids we must find our way and that we all have a talent and once we find it we must keep it !
When designing a new collection where do you get your inspiration from?
I get my inspiration from beautiful books (ethnic dresses and history costumes), from design books (for colors and patterns), and from the internet (beautiful graphic and illustration blogs and sites). My imagination does the rest !
Which of your products are you most proud of, and why?
* 2 years ago I created a customised sleepbag for a mother. She just told me some words : “green and pink, antilope, baby and adenium” (a beautiful desert plant). I really like the design I created and colour palette.
* In my first collection “Bao’bab”, 4 years ago, I created African patterns and colors, and I’m very proud of one on my elephant baby series : a raspberry double-sided felt and a wax (african) fabric.
Do you have a good work / life balance ?
I’m working on it everyday…!
I’m a “home-mum-worker” : I write books (about kids creativity), I create unique sleepbags, I study (distance learning : I go back to school to learn pedagogy and creativity) and I am the mother of 2 little kids (a 6 year old boy and an almost 5 year old girl). And I have 3 blogs… So, I decided to make choices in my life : I do not iron !
We don’t have television at home, so in the evening I have the time to draw new designs, to read, to write and sometimes to sew.
Unfortunately, we have a very small house, and 3 rooms : since my kids are in their own room, I no longer have craft room … Everytime I sew, I need to immediately tidy up ! I’m dreaming of looking at the beautiful sewing room on Pinterest !
Do you have a motto or quote you love to use?
Yes ! “Stop procrastinating, and do it !”
Seriously, there is so many things I want to do and create, and life is so short…
What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?
For me : fly in space
For my family : build a time-travel machine (great way to travel !)
For humanity : develop a humanistic and child-centered education which will change awareness
What is the best advice you have ever given or received?
“Try, don’t begin to think about failure”. I understand our kids are mostly influenced by what we “are” than what we do or what we say. They need to have and see passionate and creative parents !
If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?
I think it would be in Quebec, in a wooden house, between a lake and a big forest. And I’d like to have a small house in Chang Maï (Thaïland) and an over-water bungalow renting-for-life in Bora Bora, just for holidays
What makes you smile?
* When my 6 years old boy (who is fond of dinosaurs, astronomy and human body) is thinking about the tooth fairy (in France, it’s a “mouse tooth” !) and about who or what bring Easter eggs in our garden : this year, he was sure it was him : it’s a very small airplane, dropping eggs in the grass ! And his sister heard an airplane engine, obviously…
* My husband’s humour : he makes me laugh !
* A very cute manga : a kitten named Chi (Konami Kanata).
* When my cat (Mushi) is snoring and hum… don’t tell anyone ! Funny cats video compilations on youtube … I think I definitively love cats !
Do you have a favorite gift for friends and if so what is it?
No, I always choose my gift based on the person. And when I can : handmade gifts !
Which is your favorite item on Babatude Boutique ?
I really like the felt globe made by Jane Talbot.
What’s the one item you couldn’t do without on a desert island ?
For life : internet…
For holidays or a short time : nothing !
Please ask a question for the next featured artist to answer
With which music do you like to create ?